Friday, December 28, 2012

No pics today. Pics tomorrow. Hopefully. :)

I guess that good knitting can make for boring blogging. "Still working on the shawl. No problems so far. One section down." All the interesting stuff to talk about comes in the planning phase and in the "ARGH! What did I do wrong and how am I going to fix it?" phases. With the EZ 100th Anniversary Camping Shawl, I had none of the latter. None. Zero, zip, nada. It's almost mind-boggling to me that I should get through a shawl without some sort of catastrophe: forgetting a crucial portion of a pattern, having my needles separate from the cables and losing a bunch of stitches, or just messing up badly and having to drop back to a lifeline in order to fix it. In the entire course of this pattern, the only problem I had was that when it was time to start the edging pattern, I realized I had two extra stitches on my needles. I could not for the life of me see where they came from, since the pattern before it had ended perfectly, and the eyelet row looked just fine. Since I didn't see any errors, I decided just to decrease an extra stitch at the beginning and end of the first edging pattern row--SSSK and K3tog. Easy-peasy, and it looks perfect. I finished it the morning after Christmas, at my parents' place. I blocked the shawl last night before dinner. Did you know that 105 T-pins are really not enough? Nope. Even if I'd used a blocking wire for the top edge (as I probably should have, but I didn't want to deal with sticking it through), I wouldn't have had quite enough pins to block out the edging in little rounded scallops. I ended up blocking each "wave" into three points instead. It kind of reminds me of part of a snowflake, somehow. Heh...camping in the winter! I was going to try to get pictures, but it's getting late in the day, and the light isn't as good as it could be anymore. I will attempt to get some good ones tomorrow, though, and will post them to Ravelry! Next up: Peacock Stole! And maybe after I go wedding gown shopping on January 5th, I will know whether I'd like to make a wedding shawl. Oh, yeah, that's right. I never actually mentioned here that I got engaged, did I? My boyfriend formally proposed a few nights before Halloween--just a week and a half after my last post here! I've joined the "With This String, I Thee Wed" group on Ravelry. Yay!

No comments: