Tuesday, November 05, 2013

I am a pathetic, pathetic knitter.

I have not written in here since March. March, at which time I was dutifully working at my Peacock Stole. March, at which time there was still more than half a year to go until my wedding.

The wedding that ATE MY BRAIN.

OK, so it as mostly the wedding planning that ate my brain. Even when I wasn't actively working on it, it was a loud enough background noise that I had a hard time doing anything as complicated in my spare time (what there was of it) as fixing knitting boo-boos. Consequently, the only knitting I've done in AGES was when I worked on my hexipuffs on my summer vacation, just for something to do with my hands while chatting with fellow festival-goers and while riding in the car for the long trip there and back.

But now it's SERIOUS autumn. It's time for Stitches East (where I'm not actually going this year). It's not long after Rhinebeck. I think all that knitter-juju in the air has finally started getting to me. It might also be the fact that I'm pulling out all my shawls, my hat, and other knitted stuff to keep me warm again. I've been finding myself thinking longingly of yarn and needles again.

Last night, at long last, I picked up the Peacock Stole again. I saw that the problem that had led me to set it aside for months was more of a problem and less of a problem than I remembered. It was more of a problem in that the yarn had broken, and less of a problem in that I had put in a lifeline only a few rows back. Whew! I frogged, did a Russian join, and started working again. This morning, knitting on the bus, I dropped an annoying couple of stitches. Somehow, this started getting worse, until I slammed on the brakes (of the knitting, not the bus). I let most of the pattern repeat I was working drop off back to the lifeline, except for one stitch at the beginning and end, just to keep the markers in place. That left me 22 stitches that I put onto a stitch holder, and then started re-knitting them from there. I've almost got them back up to the current row now, and have no doubt I'll be whizzing along again this afternoon.

An old and dear friend who moved away to Ohio (who's also a knitter) is in town right now, and my husband (HUSBAND!) and I are having dinner with him tonight at 7. Husband probably won't get into town until well after 6, because he is now working out in Western Mass. This leaves me with lots of time after work. I will probably spend it in looking for a coat at the Garment District, and knitting--either here in the Kendall area or in Davis Square, where we're going for dinner. Yay! I missed you, knitting!

No comments: