Friday, December 22, 2006

The pleasures of gift-giving

This holiday season, I knit a hat as a gift for a special person in my life for whom I had never knit a gift before. It was a rather funky hat: two-toned with a royal blue base and a light blue top, with the top sewn into three little points sticking out. I was a little nervous giving it to him, since I wasn't sure whether or not he'd appreciate it. Well, as soon as he took it out of the box he was delighted. He immediately put it on and was grinning like a fool. He hadn't had a hat at all, and said that he'd been getting sick of cold ears. He loved the funky design too. When you get to see a six-foot-three guy in a black trenchcoat and a silly blue hat that you made him, grinning from ear to ear, it make the work more than worthwhile. I feel like I brightened his day a bit with the gift, since his holidays are usually a little blah and he has the added issue of being very broke this year, so making him smile warmed me from the inside out. He will definitely remain on the list of People To Knit For, that list that will only include those who appreciate the knit gifts I give them.

No comments: