Saturday, November 04, 2006

WIP it real good!

I finished that intro post because I wanted to go back to knitting on my futon, but then I realized that this is a knitting blog, n'est-ce pas? I should tell you all what I'm doing. Right now I'm working on my very first sweater! It's a cardigan--Knitty's Samus. I'm using Lamb's Pride in "Spice", which is a lovely, dark, warm red. I'm doing one alteration to the pattern: I'm shaping the waist with decreases and increases. My problem is that I have an hourglass figure (no, not one of those Barbie doll ones, it's a good deal thicker in the middle), and the pattern has no waist shaping at all as written. I finished the cabled band around the bottom (isn't that gorgeous?) and picked up the stitches along the edge. I did some calculations and started doing the waist shaping, but realized that due to my inability to do math and some sloppy measuring, I was going to be off. Now I'm undoing a few rows and I'm going to start over on that part. It's going to be a bitch figuring this out, and I've been short on sleep lately. I'm starting to catch up, though, so hopefully by the time I sit down with the tape measure and calculator again, I'll get it right. I've never altered a pattern this much before. I know, it shouldn't be a big deal, but...OY. I'm not used to it. But I must have a sweater that shows off my curves. I MUST! Otherwise I won't wear it, and that will make me very sad.

So: back to undoing my lovely work (sigh) and then on to a proper waist (yay)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY for knitting blog!

I was reading another knitting blog this morning, and they had a fix for cable boo-boos:

http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2006/06/20/all_is_not_lost.html

I was thinking of the Seamus base and thought the "cheat method" (the second explanation down) would work for it.

Good luck on the shaping!

TheWantonSeedStitch said...

Thanks for the tip, lady! I do like that. I may have to undo the stitching I did to try to hide my little oops there, and use that method to fudge it even better.