Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Busy beaver

Hey, get your mind out of the gutter. I do work at MIT. Beavers are ubiquitous here--I even have one hanging on the wall of my cube!

I finished up the second of the Vancouver Fog gloves last night. I wove in all the ends and gave them a little bath in knit wash before laying them flat to dry. They came out pretty decently! Quickly, too: after a false start, I cast on on Friday. :)

Today, I have already started something new: I cast on for Multnomah. I figure I'll likely have enough yarn. I'm using size 4 needles instead of 3 (really, it's because I didn't have any size 3 circs or straights--just DPNs!), but it looks like people have used 4s and even 5s, and haven't needed a full skein of the yarn I have in order to finish. Since I don't quite have a full skein, this is good!

I know some people don't like the fact that Multnomah, as written, is heavy on the garter stitch. Frankly, though, I don't mind it in smaller yarns. I like the simplicity of the pattern because it will really show off the gorgeous colors of this yarn. The colorway is called "Dark Woods." I still don't know what I'm going to call my project. I'm thinking "Lovely, Dark, and Deep" (as in "These woods are lovely, dark, and deep/But I have promises to keep/And miles to go before I sleep"). :) This means I'll have something to work on at Stitches East. It's EASY, too. All that garter stitch is pretty mindless. I just need to keep an eye out for where to put the center YOs so I don't skip one and have to tink back to do it. Or I could just put in a stitch marker. I might just do that.

I am in such a frenzied knitting mood! I'm more productive than ever with it (hence the subject of this post), and I just want to keep doing more and more. I'm already looking ahead to other projects! This is unlike me! I took out my green-multi sock yarn last night (you know, the enormous hank?) and ogled it a bit. I keep thinking it's lighter and more yellow-y than it is, but it's sort of grassy looking, with little bits of olive and other green-variants here and there. I still think that just winding some yarn-cakes and swatching a little might serve me well. I want to see how it knits up. THEN I can make a decision. But whereas for a long time I wasn't all that excited about that yarn, now I'm kind of itching to see what I can do with it!

If I drove, I'd need a bumper sticker that said, "I'd rather be knitting," because that always seems to be true these days. :)

No comments: