Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Plans and plots

What I'm doing right now: I'm working on what I think of as an "instant gratification" project: a quick, easy knit using stash yarn that I do between more planned-out, complicated projects. This time, it's a pair of cabled fingerless gloves (Vancouver Fog is the name of the pattern). I'm making them to give to a local art gallery, which is having a sale of handknit goods in November, to benefit the Somerville Homeless Coalition. I've got the left one done, and am nearing the end of the right one. I started them on Friday night, and I'll likely finish tomorrow.

What's next, then?

Well, on Friday, my friend the Knitting Kumquat and I are heading to Connecticut to go to Stitches East! We're going for the shopping again, though we might attend a vendor class too. I am going to strictly limit my purchases. Nothing that isn't acquired at a significant discount, and no frivolous junk like pins or tee-shirts! I need to watch my spending! Things I will be on the lookout for:

* gorgeous sock yarn that can be used in a lacy shawl
* gorgeous lace yarn that can be used in a lacy shawl

Yeah, Aeolian got me hooked on lace! :)

I'm making plans for my second skein of Dream In Color Stardust. I used some of it in finishing my Aeolian, but I should have enough left for a smallish shawlette. I'm thinking of something simpler than Aeolian, because the color variegation on this skein is more pronounced than on the other skein, so elaborate designs might get a bit overwhelmed. I'm thinking something simple that will show off the colors nicely. Maybe Multnomah, or Old Man of Storr, or Deirdre. Or maybe I'll try Traveling Woman. We'll see!

I have to remember that I still have that enormous hank of greenish lightweight merino sock yarn. Seriously, it's like 1600 yards. I got it for the price of about 450 yards of most sock yarns, so it was a hell of a deal. But every time I pull it out, I'm like, "Eh...not sure I like the color all that much." I think what I need to do is just knit with some of it. Do a simple lacey swatch or something. See how it looks. Then I can make a decision about what pattern would suit it.

I'm really in one of those "want to be knitting all the time" moods!

No comments: