Monday, October 04, 2010

Making up for the frog

I was doing so very well on Aeolian. I was on the first row of the final chart! I was so excited! I finished the main edge chart and got to the middle, and went to check the chart for that bit to see if it had changed from what I'd been doing in the middle before. Then, I realized that yes, it had. TEN ROWS BACK.

Buggerbuggerbuggerbuggerbugger.

There was no easy way of fixing this, since I was supposed to have started increasing two stitches every other row back then, as well as adding in a YO-bead-YO in the middle. Had those YOs been balanced out by corresponding decreases, I would have just started it at that point and made the column of beads much shorter, but since that section was supposed to be getting wider all along, I had to go back.

I ripped back to my most recent lifeline (I'd put them in every seven rows of the previous 28-row chart), and then proceeded to tink back another three rows. This was unsuccessful. It's very hard not to drop stitches when you're undoing beads and double decreases and the like. Bleah. I ended up just taking out everything back to the previous lifeline, which meant I'd undone a total of 14.5 rows.

But here's the good bit: the good bit is, I was spending the weekend relaxing at my parents' house! I had no obligations as to how to spend my time, so I could spend a WHOLE LOT of it knitting. I managed to get back to where I'd been when I had to rip back (this time doing it right), and then did a couple more rows on top of that. Including a row with nupps and the purl row where I purled all the loops of the nupps together. Now I want to throw a lifeline in before starting another row so I don't have to worry about re-doing nupps. I almost didn't do the first nupp, because the way I've been folding the pattern put a tiny pin-sized hole in the paper where the symbol for the nupp was. But then I saw the one that mirrored the first one, at the end of the pattern repeat, and thought, "Hey, shouldn't there be one on this end, too?" I checked the pattern online, and sure enough, there it was.

So. I am on the final edge chart. Row 32 was the last one I did. I have 14 rows to go. Here's hoping that I don't have to take any more steps backward! I WILL finish this, block it, and be able to wear it to Stitches East! (And my shawl pin from Designs By Romi came in! It's cute!)

No comments: