Sunday, June 12, 2011

So close, I can smell it.

I finished the charted portion of the Vernal Equinox shawl this evening. Now, since I've decided to do the knitted bind-off, I have 4-5 rows of plain knitting ahead of me. Then, of course, comes the blocking. That will not be easy. It will take a lot of pins. On the plus side, since it's a semicircular shawl, the diameter of it is a straight line, so I can use my wires for that bit. That will save time as well as pins. Man, this is the biggest shawl I've done yet, and it's only a semicircle. I don't know what I'm going to do when I make my Shipwreck. Well, I do, really: I'll get some of those foam floor tile thingies, like my friends have for their toddler son.

I spent some time the other day thinking about whether I want to say "fuck it" to the Seascape Stole and start over with a simpler-to-me (i.e., short repeats) pattern. I might just do that. There are some nice ones out there. I don't think I adore the Seascape pattern enough to sweat over it. Iris is also gorgeous, and looks very simple. Like, almost mindless. Mindless might not suck. It means I can start something else too. Like...Shipwreck! Plus, it's on bigger needles, so that means it'll knit up faster.

Now, I am going to have to remember that it will soon be time to knit another baby sweater again, too! My cousin's wife is pregnant, and sort-of-Aunt Laura is going to have to make something cute!

I missed knitting more than I realized when I was taking a break from the shawl. I've really been enjoying it lately. It's just so satisfying watching the shawl appear on the needles, and so much fun forming the stitches. It'll be more fun still when I'm working with nicer yarn.

No comments: