Sunday, June 19, 2011

Well, that's not so bad.

Having finished my Vernal Equinox, I decided it was time to pick up my Seascape stole again. I couldn't remember what the hell I'd messed up, or figure out how to fix it, so I ended up ripping back to the last lifeline (~12 rows back). That was the hardest part. Not emotionally--I wasn't even sure I wanted to keep working on this pattern, so I had little attachment to it. Physically, though, it was a bitch. Frogging Kidsilk Haze? Not. Fun. The yarn ripped in a couple of spots, it was so sticky. Anyway, I managed to get back to the lifeline and picked up all the stitches without much trouble. The one good thing about that stickiness was that the stitches didn't slip down to pull up tight against the lifeline, so they were easy to grab. Since Saturday evening, I've done 15 rows. It goes pretty quickly, actually. I do have to keep more of an eye on the pattern than I did on the Vernal Equinox, because it's not a multi-repeat thing. Still, the pattern is symmetrical and not too hard. The most obnoxious thing is the M1R and M1L, especially with this yarn. But I feel like after all that work on the Vernal Equinox, I have my eye in for lace. It's become second nature to read my knitting as I go, checking to make sure things are lining up properly. That means I don't keep going for long if I make a mistake. If I skip a decrease, I realize, "oh, I was supposed to have only two stitches before than next YO, not three. What did I miss?"

I've decided that the most difficult thing about this stole is definitely the yarn. It's not the kind of thing I could work on in a stitch-n-bitch--I couldn't socialize while doing it--but the pattern itself is easy enough when I'm not trying to divide my attention. The yarn is a bit of a bitch to work with, though. Still, it makes a lovely, airy, gossamer-like fabric, so I can't hate it too much!

No comments: