Friday, November 12, 2010

Craft night!

Tonight, one of my friends is hosting a craft night at her place. Many of us will be knitting or crocheting. One guy will probably be making chain mail. Someone might be doing embroidery or beadwork. I think I'm going to get started on a hot water bottle cozy. I'm dithering about which of two different patterns I want to use. I need to weigh my cotton yarn when I get home. If I have enough of the blue alone, I might do the cabled one just in blue. If I don't, I'm going to have to do the plainer one, because cables don't look as good when striped, IMO. But...I already did buy buttons for the plainer one. Oh, ok. I'll make a simple striped one. :)

I have remembered that I have a $25 gift certificate from my manager for Windsor Button, sitting at home! I was in there the other day to get my buttons, and took some time to ogle the yarn. They now have some Dream in Color! They also have Malabrigo lace. And of course, Kidsilk Haze, which is starting to lure me with its evil softness. I'm starting to like the idea of mohair lace. Sure, it'd be a BITCH to have to frog any of it, but it's so frothy and light and ethereal. I might just have to get some of that.

I'm considering waiting until the holidays, because chances are, my manager will get me ANOTHER gift cert for WB this year. Then I can go on a spree! I'm telling you...lacy stuff is making me more of a yarn whore. Now I can just get a skein of lace yarn or even sock yarn without a pattern in mind, confident that I'll find a gorgeous little one-skein wonder on Ravelry. Stuff like Multnomah, or Bitterroot, or Ice Queen. A couple skeins, and I can make even more. It's not like sweaters, where I'd have to worry about getting 6 skeins of worsted, or something, which makes it hard to be spontaneous. This is dangerous, because now I CAN be spontaneous. OTOH, it also makes it easier to get a lot out of my gift certificates!

No comments: